After
driving to New York Saturday morning, I took a guided tour of Central Park’s
Belvedere Castle area, then spent late afternoon and evening at the Met. I
started in the Roman galleries that never seem to be open, and, sure enough, after a few
minutes, the guard announced that those galleries would be closing! I’ll try
again tomorrow.
![]() | |
| Carol Hentschel, Adam & Eve, 1895 |
Next I went
through the few galleries devoted to photography, prints, and drawings, located
along the main corridor on the second floor. I had seen these galleries
before, but always assumed there were more somewhere else. In fact, only a tiny
portion of the collections are exhibited at any one time. Only a single
gallery is permanently used for drawings and prints, three for photographs, and
three more can be used for either purpose, depending on the particular
exhibition. On this day, the special exhibition space was devoted to
photographs by Garry Winogrand, who captured mostly New York street scenes, but
also some historic events, from the 50s to early 80s. Across the corridor is
gallery devoted to rotating exhibits of large, contemporary photographs. Finally,
along the main corridor, is a small collection of historic photographs from the
permanent collection.
Also along
the main corridor is the only gallery permanently devoted to Drawing and
Prints, currently featuring Renaissance etchings (termed Pre-Raphaelite), along
with prints made in the same style by 19th Century British artists. Also
in the gallery was a random sampling of modern prints.
![]() |
| Nepal ensemble |
After
dinner, I went to the relatively small area devoted to Musical Instruments,
located in an out-of-the-way part of the museum. It is divided into two
sections: European and the rest of the world, specifically Asia and Africa
(but, curiously no indigenous America or Australia). In the Indian area, I came
across instruments such as the sitar that became suddenly popular in the late
60s when the Beatles used them. The next area had Chinese, Japanese and Tibetan
instruments, which I’d often heard, but not seen. Finally came the African and
Mideast area, which included only a sampling of instruments, and left out the
ones with which I’m most familiar such as djembe and doumbec, popular in American
drum circles. I left the European room for the next day.


No comments:
Post a Comment