Saturday I drove to New York in the morning, and spent some
in Central Park and visiting my nephew, so was at the Met mainly for the
evening hours. I had completed the first half of the European Decorative
Arts galleries, which is arranged coherently by country: Italian (galleries 500-508), British
(509-519), French (522-532), and Spanish (534-535). The remainder is not as
clearly organized. I saw a gallery of Rococo items from German-speaking Central
Europe (533) followed by a room of Italian Renaissance bronze sculptures (536).
The next seven galleries (537-543) are devoted to the Jack and Belle Linsky
Collection but were, unfortunately, closed (I feared another section might
prove difficult to get into). Next were some additional Wrightsman (French) Galleries
(544-547) -- which somehow were separated numerically from the other Wrightsman
Galleries (so my notion of always proceeding numerically does not always make
sense). These galleries completed the wonderful French collection with some
smaller period rooms and miscellaneous objects.

Next was the spectacular Petrie European Sculpture Court (548-549),
which provides a dramatic view of the 1888 museum façade. I had been through
this court dozens of times getting across the museum, and often stopped at some
of the remarkable sculptures, but I had not seen them all. The most striking
sculptures depict people in agony, and many of them are featured in the Met’s
new “Body Language” audio tour. The centerpiece of this courtyard is “Perseus
with the Head of Medusa”. Apparently decapitation used to be considered
admirable, even heroic, but one would think with our increased repulsion to
this practice that the Met might move it to a less prominent location. I
completed the day with a special exhibit on George Caleb Bingham and the River.
 |
| Antonio Canova: Perseus with the Head of Medusa |
|
 |
| Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux: Ugolino and His Sons |
|
 |
Balthasar Permoser:
Marsyas |
|
 |
| Domenico Guidi: Andromeda and the Sea Monster |
|
 |
| The Met's new David Koch Plaza |
No comments:
Post a Comment