Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Day 12 – 3/10/13: Central & South America, Africa



I came back by myself the next day and decided to see a part of the museum I knew nothing about, but beckoned me every time I passed through: Art of Africa, Oceania, and the Americas. Nelson Rockefeller, U.S. Vice President (and heir to the Rockefeller fortune), along with his son Michael, collected most of this art and in 1954 created a Museum of Primitive Art (not a politically correct term today). That museum closed in 1976, the collection was donated to the Met, and in 1982 a spacious new wing was built to house it. 

The first galleries were devoted to the Americas, which included the Inca and Mayan civilizations, Central America, and parts of South America, particularly Peru.  Many of the sculptures, as well as the golden objects, were intriguing, and I couldn't resist taking pictures of many of them.
Next was a small room devoted to Art of Native America, i.e. American Indians. This was probably the most disappointing part of the whole museum. As a matter of fact, a Native American who arrived about the same time, expressed dismay how little there was, considering the vast range of Native American cultures. 

The next section was Africa, which had even more expressive and intriguing sculptures.  Most striking is this Kongo Power Figure with nails driven in to show the person’s power.






No comments:

Post a Comment