 |
| Rembrandt gallery |
I went by myself and toured through the massive
collection of European Paintings before 1800, i.e. the Old Masters. I managed to see this section in one day, from opening to closing time –
but came out exhausted. In Boston, the MFA or the Gardner Museum may have one or two paintings
by Titian, Rubens, van Dyck, or Rembrandt, but the Met has several rooms for
each. It's amazing to see the life and emotions in these canvases that are 500 years old.
The gallery layout was a bit of a maze, so I developed a strategy of
always finding the next consecutive room number. Only afterwards did I discover
that a detailed room-by-room map is available at the Info Desk, just outside
these galleries.
The section opened with a room that included several wonderful paintings of or by women artists. [This entire section has since been rearranged, and these paintings are now in Room 613.]
 |
| Adelaide Labille Guiard, Self-Portrait with Two Pupils |
|
 |
| Marie Denise Villers, Young Woman Drawing |
|
|
 |
| Marie Guillelmine Benoist, Madame Phillipe Panon de Richemont |
|
No comments:
Post a Comment